Friday, September 4, 2009

Goodbye to Jaipur

Corey:

My internship at Jaipur Rugs Foundation has come to an end. Despite a couple bouts of food poisoning and a malfunctioning computer, my time at JRF has been nothing short of incredible. I have worked alongside a highly dedicated group of individuals in JRF; their passion and work ethic are unparalleled. I have also had the opportunity to work under Mr. N.K. Chaudhary. Mr. N.K. Chaudhary is one of the most selfless and kind-hearted human beings I have ever encountered and the opportunity to work under him has been an incredible experience that I will never forget. He is a visionary pioneer who will undoubtedly transform the carpet industry. Not only did Mr. N.K. Chaudhary teach me about the history and mission of JRF and his vision for the company, but also he taught me that private enterprise can successfully facilitate economic and social development – often more effectively and sustainably than foreign aid can.

During my internship, I have conducted a copious amount of research on a variety of different topics, edited various reports, including JRF’s Annual Report and the Annual Progress Report on Thanagazi, researched and drafted letters to potential partners in Germany and the Netherlands, narrated both a long and short documentary film on JRF, and conducted an interview for a national news station. However, the main focus of my internship has been on the SHG initiative of JRF’s Carpet Cluster Development Project in Thanagazi. I have compiled my findings into a 24-page report that I will present to Mr. Chaudhary and the JRF staff on my last day. My presentation will cover a variety of different topics relating to the Carpet Cluster Development Project, including its history, mission, achievements, and areas for improvement. It is my hope that my report will help JRF to improve the effectiveness, facilitate the expansion, and ensure the sustainability of its Carpet Cluster Development Project as well as educate the Penn faculty and community about JRF.

No comments:

Post a Comment