Sunday, July 26, 2009

Reflections from Sagar


The more I think about it, the more I realize that PW and PennSEM was the most ideal thing to happen to me this summer. When I was smitten by the concept of social enterprise two years ago, I was romanticizing it. I thought that I would be able to figure out all the answers and magically change everything that was wrong with this world. At some point however, idealism hits a brick wall, and you realize that you either have to climb the wall or build a window to get to the other side. Working at PW has been challenging in that I have really had to pick up my game. What I would normally have passed off in school as a good assignment, is now a first draft. I am learning that the real world is not as wonderfully abstract and smooth like management concepts or heat equations, and that you have to be sharp and efficient if you really want to make a bang. Oh, and you have to work hard. Here is a list of things that I have learnt, or at least become more aware of with regard to working well.

Being organized in thought
o What is the goal of what I am doing?
o Asking the so what?
o Thinking through things before exploring what is out there

Being organized in presentation
o Summarizing a lot of information
o Getting to the point when conversing and writing
o Paying attention to detail

Learning to sell. You are trying to sell the person, not the idea, so always, always keep their interests in mind and discuss it from within their frame of reference.

-Sagar

No comments:

Post a Comment